Sunday, August 5, 2007

Don't Complain, Unless You Can Offer Something Better

I have been complaining quite a bit lately about churches in general and my church in specific. I've been talking about how little actual give-and-take there is, how much division -- not only doctrinally, but between age-groups -- how much sexism, and how little genuineness there is. Or even how boring it is to always follow the same formula, and how hard it is to actually "get something" from the sermon every week -- while at the same time being prevented from ministering the way we feel called to do.

Well, as my grandmother once said, "Don't complain, unless you can offer something better." While I don't totally agree with her -- sometimes complaints are the only things that lead to making things better -- I have thought and prayed about it for a long time and have finally come up with something better.

Here it is:

When you gather for worship, each one of you be prepared with something that will be useful for all: Sing a hymn, teach a lesson, tell a story, lead a prayer, provide an insight. If prayers are offered in tongues, two or three's the limit, and then only if someone is present who can interpret what you're saying. Otherwise, keep it between God and yourself. And no more than two or three speakers at a meeting, with the rest of you listening and taking it to heart. Take your turn, no one person taking over. Then each speaker gets a chance to say something special from God, and you all learn from each other. If you choose to speak, you're also responsible for how and when you speak. When we worship the right way, God doesn't stir us up into confusion; he brings us into harmony. This goes for all the churches—no exceptions.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, that's because it's not really my idea. God had it first. This is The Message's interpretation of 1 Corinthians 14: 26-33.

I read this to Grey tonight, asking him to keep in mind our usual church-going rituals. I asked him, "When is the last time we gathered together with everyone having the opportunity to share a song, prayer, or teaching as he or she was led? And with no one taking over? He pointed out that our church, the "worship team" sings... and we listen to them and sing (always following their lead of course). Then someone else gets up and prays... and we listen to him and agree. Then someone might give a testimony... and we listen and applaud. Then the pastor gets up and preaches... and we listen. That's an awful lot of listening, my friends.

So when did being the Body of Christ become a spectator sport? All the references in the New Testament that I've ever found talk about how inclusive and involved the early believers were with one another, and how very much into giving, sharing, and mutuality they were. So why do we go to church and sit there like bumps on logs (or saints on pews) just to listen?


I've been studying 1 Corinthians for a while now, trying to learn about Body life. Here's another little gem that I've gleaned from it, also from
The Message (1 Cor 12: 14-20):

A body isn't just a single part blown up into something huge. It's all the different-but-similar parts arranged and functioning together. If Foot said, "I'm not elegant like Hand, embellished with rings; I guess I don't belong to this body," would that make it so? If Ear said, "I'm not beautiful like Eye, limpid and expressive; I don't deserve a place on the head," would you want to remove it from the body? If the body was all eye, how could it hear? If all ear, how could it smell? As it is, we see that God has carefully placed each part of the body right where he wanted it. 19-24But I also want you to think about how this keeps your significance from getting blown up into self-importance. For no matter how significant you are, it is only because of what you are a part of. An enormous eye or a gigantic hand wouldn't be a body, but a monster. What we have is one body with many parts, each its proper size and in its proper place. No part is important on its own.

So now that we've established that the order of service pretty much disempowers all the congregants to being a bunch of little ears, just sitting there and taking it all in -- what about the pastor? If we're the ears, he's the mouth. Is he the mouth of God? Hmmm. Now, there's a question, isn't it?

This morning my son and I actually went to church, to the same one we've been attending for three years. Our pastor got up and gave a little talk and as usual, he went off on a rabbit trail. He said, "There, that's a sermonette." Then he laughed and went on, "You know what you get when you have sermonettes, don't you? You get 'Christianettes.'"

Oh, I can't even begin to count the number of things wrong with that little joke of his. I'll try, though, because it bothered me too much to just let it rest.

1) Sermons make Christians.
2)Sermon-listening turns Christians from miniature ones to being full-size.
3) It puts the entire responsibility for spiritual growth onto the shoulders of the pastor.
4) It completely discounts the ability of the Holy Spirit to help Christians mature.
5) It diminishes all other aspects of Body life, making sermon-listening the
only thing that helps Christians mature.

That's enough for now... and ordinarily I would just laugh it off as a joke of his... except this wasn't the first time I've heard it.

But while we're on the subject, let's talk about the pastor. Specifically, let's talk about the idea of a group of believers hiring someone to come and teach them week after week. Where is this idea found in scripture? Scripture shows us lots of examples of early believers sharing responsibilities equally -- each one according to his gifts, yes, but there is not supposed to be any external judging of gifting. No one person was supposed to be in charge of how things were run -- they were to depend solely upon the Holy spirit's leading to keep order... and the thing is, Paul tells us that if they do, then order is kept. No one else is supposed to be telling others to teach, or sing, or whatever; they're supposed to depend on the Holy Spirit's leading to prepare something for themselves, to share with each other.

There's that "each other" phrase again, implying mutuality, turnabout, and deferring to one another. Grey and I were wondering today just how that would look, in our church. The pastor is very much in charge. He shares the responsibilities with three elders (two now, since one moved away), but with this church so heavily into the unscriptural "Covering" doctrine, everything has to pass by him and receive his OK before it becomes part of the "order of service." So really, he's doing the Holy Spirit's job. And he's also doing the congregants' job, whose responsibility it is to bring the teaching. And with him putting his head together with the worship team, they're doing the congregants' jobs as well, who are supposed to be the ones preparing and bringing hymns and songs for the corporate worship.

No wonder the poor man's burned out. Not only is he doing the job of 50 people, but he's doing God's job too!

And yet, if I were to tell him this, it would be considered borderline heretical.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I am so thankful for the distinct honour of being part of a beautiful group of Christ-followers who do exactly this. Not every single week, but often enough. There is a lot of discussion and no "You must believe what I say".

I honestly don't think I could go back to the old model now. It would grate on my soul. Not that I think every person in the world must do it this way - but it is definitely where I flourish.

I really hope you have a chance to experience this too. It's not just an ideal, and it's not wishful thinking.

Heather said...

I just tagged you for a meme.

See http://deconstructedchristian.blogspot.com/2007/08/tagged-oh-no.html

Heather.

faintnot said...

It seems as though there are so many with your opinion again, and I say, 'again' instead of, 'these days' very specifically. It seems as if we all fall into the trap of depending upon the church to be our pathway to God, our vehicle as it were, when all it is is people like you and me, starving for that relationship with Jesus that you are now finding. It seems to happen over and opver again. As soon as we systemetize a good thing it becomes tainted and dead. But what I have discovered is that there are people in the church, (within the walls) of church who truly have been placed there by God and it is okay but they are starving as well for the real things of God. They are longing to get to know ones like you and heather and maybe even me because they can see Jesus in our lives. And maybe we are placed in these hard places so that others can reach for the prize they see us reaching for- to have Him live His life through us. The Word says that Jesus entrusted Himself to no man for he knew what men were made of.
I fear that there is this pull away from organized believers because we falsely entrusted ourselves to men who can only fail us. We must be where the Lord places us even if we don't see the value because you just might be the light in a dimmed church. We need eachother as much as the world needs us. I love that we can all share here on these sites. It is church in a sense as much as any other church. But we must never be so critical of men that we end up rejecting what God is doing with and through us. We are called to love one another It is how the world defines us. We spend an awful amount of time tearing eachother apart. Ultimately we are all called to Him, to His Life, and also to His Death. I must decrease, He must increase. Ultimately, I am called to love the unlovely...pray we can do that regardless of our opinions.

SaschkaH said...

Did you just get in my head and articulate my very struggle with 'Church' as it now stands?

I want to steal your post (but I won't). It is how I've felt for so long - I might just put that verse up.

Sasch