Friday, August 17, 2007

Christian Apology

Deconstructed Christian has tagged me for the Christian Apology (no, not apologia) that's been making the rounds. Here are the rules:

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Apologize for three things that Christians have often got wrong. Your apologies should be directed towards those who don't view themselves as part of the Christian community. Alternatively, apologize for things you personally have done wrong towards those outside of the church.
2. Post a comment at the originating post so others can keep track of the apologies.
3. Tag five people to participate in the meme.
4. If desired, send an email with the link to your blog post at the Christians Confess site, giving permission for your apologies to be added to the website.

MY APOLOGIES:

1. I am sorry that I've always been so worried about money that I haven't been generous with you. I've been so concerned with my self and my family, and whether we'd have enough for US, that I haven't been hospitable to you and your friends. I claim a faith that is marked by giving generously... and I've hardly given at all.

2. I'm sorry that I viewed "loving others" more along the lines of "being a good example to you on how to live," with its requisite self-righteousness of course, instead of actually showing you genuine love and caring. I've been so concerned with doing everything "right" that I've gotten most of it totally wrong.

3. I'm sorry I have judged you by standards that you don't hold for yourself, and have found you wanting and condemned you. I'm sorry that I have not accepted you the way you are, met you at your own level, and really been your friend.


Now for the people I want to tag? Hmmm... let's see...
I'd love to see what
Sensuous Wife,
Sascha,
Robin,
Faintnot,
and Eleutheros (if he ever decides to blog)
have to say about it.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow. I can relate to every single one of those, but number three... that is one that I've only recently learnt, and I know I am so guilty of it. Every time I read one of these posts I remember something else I have done. God forgive me.

faintnot said...

Thank you so much for thinking of me. Yes, Heather tagged me a while back and I have posted my reply on my blog. Please visit it.

By the way, I noticed you sent the tag to the prayer call post for "especially heather". I think her site will be a blessing...she could use our support.

Thanks again for tagging me...and for visiting my posts. I have been enjoying yours as well.

SaschkaH said...

Thank you so much for tagging me.

Your posts resonate with me in a way that not many blogs allow.

It's given me a place to start thinking about how and where I'm NOT being 'as Jesus was', and where my sheltered 'good Christian girl growing up' culture has prevented me from being REAL to my non-Christian friends and families.

Thank you, friend.

Erin said...

Hi! Saw your link at John Smulo's place, thought I'd stop by.

I really like your list - I relate to it all, but like Heather, especially #3.

It's nice to meet you! I took a look around and like what I've read of your writing.