Monday, July 23, 2007

The Rules of Christianity

I have come to realize that there are certain things that Christians tend to do and say, mostly for the purposes of having other people know that they are Christians. There is a whole big expectation of things that Christians are "supposed" to do. I grew up in the Conservative Baptist church of the USA, so for years I was taught that you couldn't drink, smoke, dance, or listen to secular music (heaven forbid it be rock'n'roll!) and be a Christian. Had to have a "daily quiet time," and it had to be first thing in the morning. Had to have a ready answer to the Christian school principal's question of "How's your walk with God lately?" and God forbid it be anything except a verbatim quotation of the scripture that you'd read that very morning.

Christians are supposed to be involved with politics, but nothing as messy as giving a home to an unwed mother, adopting a child, or donating one's time or money to the Crisis Pregnancy Centers. No, it's much easier to simply picket outside the abortion clinic, and say ugly things to and about women who wear "I Had an Abortion" t-shirts. One of my closest childhood friends had an abortion, and she tells me it was the hardest thing she'd ever done -- not least because of the stigma and ostracism she knew she would face if she ever returned to the Christian community (which, to date, she has not done). She did tell me that my reaction of heartfelt sympathy went a long way towards helping her to heal from the wounding she experienced from other Christians about it.

Christians are supposed to show gay people the love of Christ, but at the same time make sure they know at all times what abominable sinners they are. Sure, put a huge weight of guilt, shame, and condemnation on 'em -- that'll lead 'em to Jesus for sure!

Lately there have been things added to the list of rules: Christians don't read Harry Potter. This reminds me of a very funny story about when my pastor and his wife came over to dinner once, and she was talking a mile a minute while he was perusing our bookshelves (don't ask me why). He noticed our boxed set of the Chronicles of Narnia, and drew her attention to it.

"Oh, what a great series that is!" she exclaimed, beaming. "Ever so much better than that nasty Harry Potter series--those books are nothing but occultic! Christians ought to have NO truck with the devil!" she told me with a wide smile and a decisive and self-righteous nod.

With a sweet smile, I pointed to our entire set of Harry Potter books. "Those are one shelf up," I told her. She changed the subject rather gracelessly, and I tried not to laugh. I doubt she has ever read any of them.

(I can assure you that my obsession and admiration for Professor Snape does not negatively impact my faith at all; in fact, with my great fondness for redemption stories, I think he illustrates the concepts very nicely.)

So it's apparently part of the rules that Christians have to have other people do their thinking for them. They aren't allowed to read books that other Christians say are bad; they aren't allowed to watch movies with any sex, swears, or nudity (although violence seems to be universally accepted; I wonder why the double standard?); they aren't allowed to do, say, think, or experience anything for themselves that they've heard other Christians say are bad for any reason.

The upshot of this is that Christians seem to have their own little sub-culture wherein they can stay happy and comfortable -- and be perfectly worthless and useless to the outside world around them. And woe to any Christians who break the "rules" -- they get castigated by all the rule-followers and accused of not even being Christians. It's as if, to be a Christian, you're supposed to just ignore all the ugly and gritty aspects of living in the world, in favor of keeping up appearances and pretending everything is fine. And if you don't pretend everything is fine, then you ARE the problem.

Might as well move to Pleasantville.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hello! I've linked to this post in my latest one. All so true! Luckily I'm not so good at the rules any more.

Alise said...

The book comment had me rolling, as I'm sure people don't know what to think about our bookshelves. We have entire collections of systematic theology and biblical commentaries right next to Dawkin's "The God Delusion." Phillip Yancey, Tony Campolo, Max Lucado and then Bertrand Russel's "Why I am not a Christian." The Chronicles of Narnia and the whole Harry Potter collection. Same with music. Around here it will be David Crowder one minute and Dave Matthews the next.

And in spite of it all, I still get to be a child of God. w00t!

Anonymous said...

Wow!, I just linked to your blog via 'Deconstructed Christian' and love it!
As a friend of Jesus, and a fan of Harry Potter, I've been hit with my fair share of raised eyebrows.
And I, too, have decided to wipe the slate clean of religion, and just go after God.
I half joke about it.....I've become a Pagan, so I can get to know God.
Somehow, being a Pagan, or a New Ager, or something else entirely has less walls in the way to getting to really know God.
I'm not totally comfortable yet with the transition out of church life, but slowly, it's getting more real.
I spent my life in church, and when I wanted to know Jesus personally, all these roadblocks were constructed...like my passion for Him was repugnant.

Anyways, glad to kinda meet you!
I have just started a blog myself, as a way of getting to know, and being know by, the blogging community.
Hope you stop by sometime....when I get some more experience perhaps..

Nate said...

Hello Pro Deo Sum, I ended up here through Heather's site, from a friend of her's Erin's site. But, you are not alone in leaving the Baptist Church, did that myself two years ago. I have learned more about God on thsoe two years than in the previous 36. I have many heretical, or so my christian friends would say, views on my site. Mainly they just do not agree with the accepted doctrine of the church. So I quit being a christian and am now just a servant of God. I will apologize for the length of the posts in advance if you do choose to visit my site.

But I am glad you chose God over religion. A hard but brave thing to do.