Sunday, September 9, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes

This just blew me away this morning. First of all, Scot and I "went to church" this morning (poor Grey had to stay home and get some sleep--he's been working 3rd shift for weeks now), to visit with some friends who've been raving about this church. On the way home, I was talking with Scot about it. Now, we haven't "gone to church" for weeks and weeks -- usually we go only when we start missing our friends too much... and while I'm on the topic, that business of "church isn't a social club" is for crap. I am coming to think that the social aspect is the ONLY reason to "go to church" at all! The teaching is usually questionable, being based as it is in church traditions rather than in scripture; the corporate worship is lovely, but that's part of the social/fellowship aspect of it; the prayer is great and so is the meet'n'greet time... but every single aspect of "going to church" that appeals to us has to do with the fellowshipping with the Body!

So Scot and I compared this church with the one we've been attending for the last three years, and concluded they were about the same. Neither one of us was wowed by them. So just on a whim, I asked Scot what he thought the best way to learn about Jesus would be. With no prompting or discussion of home churches in his hearing or anything, this is what he said (in his own words):

"I think that we should get a whole bunch of people who all love Jesus. And we should meet them at our house. Outside. When it rains hard, we should cancel the meeting. If it rains only a little, we can meet them inside. And in the winter, we can meet them inside, and all have hot chocolate while we're exploring the Bible a little."

He went on to explain that he thought the kids should go into a bedroom and do whatever they wanted, but that they could still come out and be with their parents if they wanted to. I asked him if there should be any singing (since that's one of the things he hates most about the church we attend; the singing is quite loud), and he thought for a long moment before deciding, "There should be some QUIET singing."

I asked him if there should be a sermon during the meeting, and he didn't think there should be. "But someone could teach a little, if they wanted to," he offered. "And someone else could pray."


Wow. I was blown away. Not only is this EXACTLY the sort of "church" that Grey and I have been absolutely longing for, for months -- but he outlined fairly accurately how 1 Cor 14 tells us a church meeting should be run!

We haven't talked to him much about any of this. Can he call it, or what?

1 comment:

Gem said...

I read your post.
Wish you could visit my church :)
We've been members of 12 different denoms (in 25 years or so) and this one is different... I feel like a baby at this one and I am hearing things I don't recall ever hearing before.

I changed my handle (on purpose, right before my acct deletes) and I put a couple more posts on your authority thread.